‘Tis the season, for so many holidays and celebrations, but also for helping neighbors in need.
It is not too late to get your donation in for the Holiday Meals for Mainers campaign. As part of our commitment to making a difference in our community, we are proud to sponsor the Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger as our signature social responsibility initiative. For the second year, the Holiday Meals for Mainers initiative encourages people to provide the gift of a meal this season by donating $5 (or more) before December 31 to help feed a hungry neighbor in need.
Hunger By The Numbers
While we provide services to credit unions across the country, food insecurity remains a significant problem here in our home state of Maine:
- 1 in 9 Mainers has limited or uncertain access to healthy food.
- Maine ranks 14th in the nation for very low food security rates. For these households, eating patterns are disrupted at certain times of the year because they lack money or other resources to purchase food.
- Of the more than 250,000 children in Maine, an estimated 16.6%, or nearly 42,000 kids, are at risk of food insecurity. This means 1 in 6 kids do not have regular access to enough healthy food.
- Over 180,000 Mainers rely on Good Shepherd Food Bank and its network of partners for food assistance.
Source: Good Shepherd Food Bank
What is the Campaign for Ending Hunger?
All Maine credit unions participate in this signature social responsibility campaign that is the largest, non-hunger organization-based philanthropic fundraising effort to end hunger in Maine. Since 1990, the Campaign has raised over $11.5 million, including $930,367.80 raised in 2021 alone. Funding for the Campaign for Ending Hunger comes from four sources:
- Credit Unions: Dollars raised by individual credit unions through fundraising activities such as payroll deduction, raffles, sweepstakes and events.
- Credit Union Chapters: Dollars raised by Maine’s eight credit union chapters from golf outings, auctions, and other activities.
- Maine Credit Union League and Synergent: Dollars raised by the Maine Credit Union League and Synergent from the annual golf tournament, auctions, and other activities.
- Other: Dollars raised from corporations (both in and outside Maine), individuals, vendors, and others that share our commitment to ending hunger in our state.
There is no better present to give than the gift of food to someone in need. We invite you to join us in supporting Holiday Meals for Mainers, which runs through December 31, 2022. Together, we can make this season brighter. Help us make a difference and make your donation today.
Donations can be made securely online and are tax deductible. If preferred, you can send a check to:
Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger
P.O. Box 1236
Portland, Maine 04104