Synergent is committed to making a difference for credit unions, their members, and in our own local community. We accomplish this through the services and support we provide to our credit union partners. We also achieve this through our support of our signature social responsibility initiative, the Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger.
While we provide services to credit unions across the country, hunger remains a significant problem in our home state of Maine:
- 1 in 9 Mainers is facing food insecurity.
- Maine ranks 14th in the nation for very low food security rates.
- Of the more than 250,000 children in Maine, an estimated 16.6 percent, or nearly 42,000 kids, are at risk of food insecurity. This means 1 in 6 kids do not have regular access to enough healthy food.
- 28% of Maine households headed by people of color are food insecure.
- Over 180,000 Mainers rely on Good Shepherd Food Bank and its network of partners for food assistance.
Source: Good Shepherd Food Bank
“People are paying more for just about everything these days—including groceries—making it even harder for many to put meals on their tables,” said Todd Mason, President/CEO of the Maine Credit Union League and Synergent. “As we enter this season of giving, we are encouraging people to open their hearts and their wallets to help those in need by giving the gift of a holiday meal.”
Holiday Meals for Mainers
With the holiday season fast approaching, Synergent is proud to again sponsor the Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger’s Holiday Meals for Mainers. For the second year, this initiative encourages donors to make a donation of as little as $5 to get food on the tables of those in need. While this time of year is typically considered to be a festive one, it also can be a particularly stressful time for individuals and families who are food insecure.
“You’d be surprised how far a $5 donation can go,” added Mason. “Small amounts add up, and the more money we can generate through this effort, the more we can provide to local food pantries and meal programs in the days and weeks ahead.”
What is the Campaign for Ending Hunger?
All Maine credit unions participate in this signature social responsibility campaign that is the largest, non-hunger organization-based philanthropic fundraising effort to end hunger in Maine. Since 1990, the Campaign has raised over $11.5 million, including $930,367.80 raised in 2021 alone. Funding for the campaign comes from four sources:
- Credit Unions: Dollars raised by individual credit unions through fundraising activities such as payroll deduction, raffles, and events.
- Chapters: Dollars raised by chapters from golf outings, auctions, and other activities.
- Maine Credit Union League and Synergent: Dollars raised by the Maine Credit Union League and Synergent from the annual golf tournament, auctions, and other activities.
- Other: Dollars raised from corporations (both in and outside Maine), individuals, vendors, and others that share our commitment to ending hunger in our state.
There is no better present to give than the gift of food to someone in need. Together, we can make this season brighter. Help us make a difference and make your donation today.
Donations can be made securely online and are tax deductible. If preferred, you can send a check to:
Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger
P.O. Box 1236
Portland, Maine 04104